The Daily Proust
A day-by-day, spoonful by spoonful, chronological reading of Marcel Proust's A la recherche du temps perdu, a.k.a. In Search of Lost Time, a.k.a. Remembrance of Things Past -- towering monument of French literature, and the greatest novel ever written. Certainly the greatest 3,000 page novel anyway.


Saturday, May 03, 2003  

Proust Moment, May 3, 2003

No Turning Back

Marcel awaits Mamma knowing that he has taken a considerable turn, that in his desire for a kiss he has perhaps pushed things entirely too far.

“... I knew that what I had just done was in the same category as certain other sins for which I had been severely chastised, though infinitely more serious than they. When I went out to meet my mother as she herself came up to bed, and when she saw that I had remained up so as to say good night to her again in the passage, I should not be allowed to stay in the house a day longer, I should be packed off to school next morning; so much was certain. Very good: had I been obliged, the next moment, to hurl myself out of the window, I should still have preferred such a fate. For what I wanted now was Mamma, and to say good night to her. I had gone too far along the road which led to the realisation of this desire to be able to retrace my steps.”

--"Overture," Swann's Way

posted by Unknown | 7:50 PM
archives
links