The Daily Proust
A day-by-day, spoonful by spoonful, chronological reading of Marcel Proust's A la recherche du temps perdu, a.k.a. In Search of Lost Time, a.k.a. Remembrance of Things Past -- towering monument of French literature, and the greatest novel ever written. Certainly the greatest 3,000 page novel anyway.


Monday, April 28, 2003  

Proust Moment, April 28, 2003

Art of the Kiss

With the intricate imagination of an artist, Marcel plans exactly how he will kiss his mother, only to have his plans scuttled by the grandfather:

"I never took my eyes off my mother. I knew that when they were at table I should not be permitted to stay there for the whole of dinner-time, and that Mamma, for fear of annoying my father, would not allow me to give her in public the series of kisses that she would have had in my room. And so I promised myself that in the dining-room, as they began to eat and drink and as I felt the hour approach, I would put beforehand into this kiss, which was bound to be so brief and stealthy in execution, everything that my own efforts could put into it: would look out very carefully first the exact spot on her cheek where I would imprint it, and would so prepare my thoughts that I might be able, thanks to these mental preliminaries, to consecrate the whole of the minute Mamma would allow me to the sensation of her cheek against my lips, as a painter who can have his subject for short sittings only prepares his palette, and from what he remembers and from rough notes does in advance everything which he possibly can do in the sitter's absence. But to-night, before the dinner-bell had sounded, my grandfather said with unconscious cruelty: `The little man looks tired; he'd better go up to bed. Besides, we are dining late to-night.'

"And my father, who was less scrupulous than my grandmother or mother in observing the letter of a treaty, went on: `Yes, run along; to bed with you.'

I would have kissed Mamma then and there, but at that moment the dinner-bell rang.

"`No, no, leave your mother alone. You've said good night quite enough. These exhibitions are absurd. Go on upstairs.'

"And so I must set forth without viaticum; must climb each step of the staircase 'against my heart,' as the saying is, climbing in opposition to my heart's desire, which was to return to my mother, since she had not, by her kiss, given my heart leave to accompany me forth. That hateful staircase, up which I always passed with such dismay, gave out a smell of varnish which had to some extent absorbed, made definite and fixed the special quality of sorrow that I felt each evening, and made it perhaps even more cruel to my sensibility because, when it assumed this olfactory guise, my intellect was powerless to resist it. When we have gone to sleep with a maddening toothache and are conscious of it only as a little girl whom we attempt, time after time, to pull out of the water, or as a line of Moliere which we repeat incessantly to ourselves, it is a great relief to wake up, so that our intelligence can disentangle the idea of toothache from any artificial semblance of heroism or rhythmic cadence. It was the precise converse of this relief which I felt when my anguish at having to go up to my room invaded my consciousness in a manner infinitely more rapid, instantaneous almost, a manner at once insidious and brutal as I breathed in—a far more poisonous thing than any moral penetration—the peculiar smell of the varnish upon that staircase."

--"Overture," Swann's Way

posted by Unknown | 12:02 AM
archives
links